With the encouragement of a friend, we signed Gavin up for soccer this spring. He's always talked of football and baseball, but he'd recently started playing soccer with friends at playgroup. And he loved it! As I'd watch him run after the ball, I noticed he wasn't half bad at kicking and dribbling either - four a 4-year-old. In fact, he's probably better than me. But, ahem, that isn't saying much.
I was nervous about the time commitment. I'd heard other parents talk about the weekly practices and weekly games. I just didn't want him to be tied down by an activity at such a young age. But then I learned the practices and games are only 45 minutes. And it's really laid back with no goalies, no kept scores, lots of encouragement by the coaches and parents, and great team-building skills. So what was I waiting for?
I knew Gavin would have a great time, but I was not prepared for how this sport would affect him.
He just comes alive.
He talks about soccer all the time. To everyone we run into during the day. He describes the goals he makes, the way he runs, how awesome his soccer uniform is. He cheers wildly for his team - the Bumblebees - during practices and games. He plays hard, running after the ball, kicking, tripping, falling and getting right back up to run.
Is he the star soccer player? Absolutely not. He spends more time chasing and less time kicking, but it doesn't even matter to him. He's a REAL soccer player! He just beams and beams with pride and excitement.
Exactly as he should.

No comments:
Post a Comment